Friday, May 02, 2008



Enough with the snowdog picture. How depressing is that?

Hopefully, within a few weeks (See? I'm an optimist.), my gardens will look more like this - that's barring drought, more hard freezes (guaranteed) and insects and marauding deer.

I've been crazy busy practicing. My brother and I and two of my percussionist sons are playing Symphonic Dances from West Side Story next week. I've never played jazz before so this has been quite the challenge starting with my believing that transcribing it from a score written for two pianos to a score for four hands one piano would be a piece of cake. Well, zillions of hours and eight rolls of scotch tape later, I realized that I had taken on a lot more than I had planned for.

And then the rehearsals commenced: pretty close to the most frustrating experience I've had since deciding that writing novels would be easy. But the good news? We have our final rehearsals starting Monday, play on Thursday and I'm very confident it's going to go well. (That's me talking myself into not running away to hide.)

My second novel, "Plagues: The Sequel" has been out for the last couple of weeks with my beloved beta readers. I've received very positive feedback with some great, doable, constructive criticism. One reader felt I had to tone down the sex - Where's the fun in that? It was fun writing it (I giggled a lot to myself) and I think it's a hoot reading it, but I understand where they're coming from and I'm definitely going to make Deirdre behave herself when the action really gets going. Sometimes her shenanigans get in the way of the story flow and she just has to understand that she has to behave, at least occasionally. Naughty girl!

I hope to make revisions the week after my concert and then it's out into the cold, cruel world of submitting. Been through this before, so I do at least know the ropes. Interestingly, I'm really not that keen on submitting to agents, at least in the early rounds, who don't accept email. It seems so archaic. But wait until I get a few rejections. Then I'll change my haughty, little tune.

Here's hoping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with "Plagues: The Sequel".
And let Deirdre have her fun. Don't tone down the sex for only one reader. Characters should be bigger than life!!
I'm so excited for you.
Love to hear more about this and about Mudder.
I enjoy your blog and am going to "tag" you, so others can enjoy it also.
Best Wishes,
Laurie

Lorra said...

Hi Laurie -

Thanks for the advice. It's easy to become confused when your beta readers are all giving you advice that is at odds with one another. There is one little scene with Deirdre I will tone down because I do agree with one reader that it gets in the way of the story's flow at that point. Based on other comments and your comment, I think I'll leave the other scenes alone and see what happens in that big, scary publishing world. I'm fairly sure agents won't be afraid to speak their minds if they find the scenes are out of place.

Thanks for the "tag."